Sunday 6 December 2015

Coraline written by hand!

I will post my Coraline unit on TPT next weekend but I found this story on BuzzFeed today about how Neil Gaiman writes his books by hand. ( Pictures of his drafts of Coraline below)

He told BuzzFeed: “I started with Stardust: It was (in my head) being written in the 1920s, so I bought a fountain pen and a big notebook and wrote it by hand to find out how writing by hand changed my head.”

And it did, it really did. I was sparser, I would think my way through a sentence further, I would write less, in a good way. And when I typed it up, it became a very real second draft – things would vanish or change. I discovered that I enjoyed messing about with fountain pens, I even liked the scritchy noise the pen nib made on the paper.

“So I kept doing it. Sandman: Dream Hunters and American Gods and Anansi Boys and The Graveyard Book were all written by hand. The last two-thirds of Coraline was also written by hand.”


Spiderwick

Pot purri mixture that could be used to keep unwanted fairies away.


No comments:

Post a Comment